Renaissance Revival Reveler

This is an up-beat blog that rejoices in the creativity God gifts us to lift our neighbor and glorify Him. Travels, home decor, gardening, the pallet for many interests.

Monday, November 02, 2009

Surprise Visit

Any one who knows how much I love being a pastor knows how much I resist doing Charge Conference. The obsequious forms, the additional meetings (times two churches), and extensive preparation to satisfy the Company Mandates distracts and derails my time and attention from the real work of ministry: making disciples, calling on the sick, home bound, planning and celebrating worship, and being attentive to the direction of the Holy Spirit. In fact, the only way I can make this bureaucratic bazaar palatable, is by accepting and approaching it as a spiritual discipline. What did Sister Joan used to say? "Offer it up."
But God never ceases to amaze me with His sense of humor. This year, Charge Conference was hosted by my Church in Early. OY! Bunches of people were coming to my Church. Bunches and bunches. The ladies prepared lunch, Ann, my strong right hand technician prepared music, and Bev and Anita, two accomplished secretaries (really "administry" assistants) prepared the final copies of the "sacred writ": Forms A, B, C, D, etc. etc. etc. I even made little favors; pumpkin and apple scented votive candles wrapped in gold and red tissue paper, with a business sized card attached which read "Welcome, pass it on!" for each attendee. I was prayed up and ready!
What I wasn't prepared for was, in the midst of our conferencing, was the unexpected joy of the Presence of the Lord. As people shared the ministries of their respective churches, there was a lightness and brightness in the atmosphere, intangible, but unmistakeable! Once again, the Lord showed me that He can show up anywhere and redeem anything - even Charge Conferece! Ok, so now I have hope for Annual Conference this June. Maranatha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home